Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November 1, 2011: Green Beans Gremolata Recipe

Bookmark and Share
Well, it’s finally here – one of my favorite months of the year! It’s not my favorite just because my husband’s birthday occurs in the month, but because it signals my favorite time of year and holiday, Thanksgiving. Perhaps I’m wild about Thanksgiving because it was my dear mother’s favorite holiday, but it could also be that, as a dedicated foodie, I love to cook and this is the day I wait for all year long!

Of course today, being the first of the month, is All Saint’s Day in the Catholic church. Back in New Mexico, where I’m from, the holiday of Dia de los Muertos is celebrated. It also happens to be the day my older sister was born (happy birthday Debbie!).

If you’re like me, you’re already planning your Thanksgiving menu. This is a recipe I found online many, many years ago (yes, there was Internet back in the mid 90s) and it became a treasured one perfect for an elegant Thanksgiving dinner (if you can get your tribe to forgo the traditional green bean casserole topped with French fried onions, that is).

Green Beans Gremolata

½ cup minced fresh parsley
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. grated lemon zest (the peel but not the white pith)
14/ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 lbs. fresh green beans, trimmed
3 T. olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a small bowl, mix together the parsley, garlic, lemon zest and Parmesan cheese. Set aside

Bring a 6 quart pot with 3 quarts of salted water to boil. Add the beans and cook until crisp tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly and transfer to a large serving bowl. Toss the beans with the olive oil to coat, then the Gremolata (cheese and herbs) mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Serves 8

No comments:

Post a Comment