Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

February 24, 2011: Recipe for a Broken Mirror

Bookmark and Share

I’d hazard to guess that many of you readers have at least one mirrored surface in the bathroom (or elsewhere) that has a crack in it. For me, it’s the medicine cabinet doors in my bathroom; ever since we bought our house there’s been a large, jagged crack at the corner edge of one door and we just never got around to replacing it. Honestly, I think we’d have to replace the whole cabinet or do some delicate surgery and we can’t afford that at the moment.

So what can you do to get rid of that unsightly crack? My friend Kathy gave me this idea. You’re not really fixing the crack, but you are covering it up and preventing someone from cutting themselves if the fissure extends to the edge of the mirror.

The solution? Wallies.

These are basically cutout shapes of wallpaper that you moisten. They can be placed on just about any kind of surface – and they work particularly well on mirrors or glass. Now, I’m not being paid to endorse this product and in fact, there may be other similar alternatives, but Wallies are reasonably priced and they also come in a wide variety of styles and shapes – there’s something for any kind of décor.

Because my home is decorated with western and mountain décor, I chose these cute brown bears and pine trees - plus they were on sale for half off. Can't beat that with a stick! Although the mirrored door on the right side wasn’t broken, I added Wallies there, too, to make a balanced design.

Sorry for the somewhat confusing photo - because the Wallies are on my mirrored medicine cabinet and there is another mirror on the opposite wall, I got this unending mirror in a mirror photo effect! But you can see the Wallies best on the very upper right hand corner of the photo.

I still have several bears and trees left over from my mirror fix and I’m thinking of ways they can be used on other items in the bathroom to pull together my decorating theme. I haven’t come up with anything yet, but I’ll let you know when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment