Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March 15, 2011: Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe

Bookmark and Share

Another Sunday, another party!

Last weekend after church we celebrated one of our member’s 50th birthdays. It was a lot of fun but this was following on the heels of celebrating Pastor Tom’s 65th birthday and Valentine’s Day before that. Truth be told, I’m a bit partied out.

For this last celebration, I only had to bring a side dish (although I ultimately decided on an appetizer). This spinach artichoke dip was a real hit; nearly everyone asked me for the recipe. *I’m posting it here for all of you ladies who asked!

I originally got this recipe from a New Orleans site back in 2000. Although it was fine as is, I made some variations, mainly so I could put in my crock pot for heating while I was at church. Here is my slightly adjusted version for the crock pot.




This picture is what was left of the dip since I forgot to photograph my big, beautiful dish before everyone dug in. It was just enough for a snack after I added a little more shredded Monterey Jack cheese.


Spinach Artichoke Dip

1 cup green onions, finely chopped (about 4)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/3 stick butter
1 lb. fresh spinach
1 can water-packed artichoke hearts or artichoke quarters
8 oz. cream cheese
6 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 oz. sour cream
1 ½ t. Worcestershire sauce
2 dashes Tabasco (or more to taste)
1/3 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese, finely grated
1 ½ t. dried dill
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

Turn your crock pot up to its highest heat setting. Add the butter. As it begins to melt, add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften.

Tear the washed spinach into small pieces and add to the veggie mixture. Toss until it is coated with butter. Let it wilt for a few minutes before adding remaining ingredients (up to the Monterey Jack cheese).

Turn your crock pot to low and let it heat through. Before serving, top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and let it melt; then serve in the crock pot. OR pour into a baking dish, top with cheese, and place it in a 350 degree oven for 5 – 10 minutes until bubbly.

Note: You can make this recipe in a saucepan, too. Just start at medium heat to melt the butter and cook the veggies. After you’ve mixed in all the ingredients, pour it into a baking dish, top with the Monterey Jack cheese, and heat at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment