Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

March 7, 2011: Plum Sauce Recipe

Bookmark and Share

Do you ever dream about food? I do, quite frequently (guess that says something about my psyche!). The other night my dream was about fried rice so, of course, I had to make a Chinese meal for dinner the next day. I thought about making sweet and sour pork to go along with the fried rice but I didn’t have any pineapple. What I did have, however, were plums I’d canned last summer. So instead of the traditional red sweet and sour sauce with pineapple, I decided to try my hand at plum sauce. After doing a bit of research online, I came up with my own variation.

I don’t know if it was because I was really hungry that night or whether the sauce was just plain good but the meal came out fantastic!

This sauce is really versatile. It can be used as I did – added to stir-fried chunks of pork, onion, and bell pepper – or as a unique brush-on glaze for pork loin or ham, a dipping sauce for egg rolls, or for any recipe in place of sweet-sour sauce.

Plum Sauce

1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. finely minced ginger
2 t. sesame oil
1 t. – 1 T. red chili sauce (found in the Chinese food section of the store; the amount depends on the level of heat you prefer)
1 pint jar canned plums (or a store-bought jar of plums or plum preserves)
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar

In a medium-sized saucepan, sauté the garlic and ginger in the sesame oil until soft and fragrant, approximately 2 – 3 minutes. While it’s cooking, pour the jar of plums plus liquid into a blender and liquefy (don’t worry if there are still small chunks of plums left). Add the chili sauce, plums, vinegar and sugar to the saucepan. Heat over medium heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened. If the sauce is too thin, thicken with a teaspoon or so of cornstarch mixed with water.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh this looks better than anything I've had in the store or at my local Chinese restaurant. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you try it, Mama Kelly. This is one dish (sweet & sour pork) I'm going to have again real soon because it was, indeed, yummy!

    ReplyDelete