Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 26, 2011: Mama’s Macaroni Salad

Bookmark and Share

I got an unexpected visit from my dad and stepmom last week; as soon as I heard they were headed up to see me, I sprang into action in the kitchen. One of dad’s favorite dishes is the macaroni salad my mom used to make. Now that she is gone, I am the only one who can duplicate it.

To the best of my knowledge, this is Mama’s recipe.

Tip: Be sure to taste the dressing often so that it has just the right mix of sweet and tanginess since all measurements are approximate.

Mama’s Macaroni Salad

One 1 lb. box macaroni
2 cups mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
1 T. fresh lemon or lime juice
1 – 2 T. sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can peas (reserve liquid)
1 can spam, diced
½ cup minced onion
3 hard boiled eggs
Paprika

Cook macaroni per directions on the box; drain and rinse with cool water.

In a large bowl, mix together mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Slowly add a bit of the liquid from the canned peas, about ¼ cup. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Add macaroni, peas, spam and onions and toss together. Slice hard boiled eggs and lay across the top of the salad. Sprinkle with paprika.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm......wish the family actually ate real food. Bring some over for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could, Tami. But I've eaten some for you, if that makes you feel any better!

    ReplyDelete