Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September 7, 2011: Canned Potatoes Recipe


Bookmark and Share
I took the opportunity over Labor Day weekend to… well, labor. I put up another dozen ears of wonderfully sweet Taylor corn, green beans from my pastor’s garden, and also some huge potatoes I’d bought earlier at the farmer’s market.

I don’t quite know what it is, but I absolutely love canned potatoes. Their texture is just so creamy and their flavor becomes richer when preserved in water. For once, my husband and I have found something we agree upon: canned potatoes are just darned good!

Although I couldn’t find a recipe in my pressure canner book for regular, white russet potatoes, I followed the one for new potatoes with a couple slight tweaks and they came out just great!
These are my very large taters before and after canning. I couldn't find plain citric acid so I used this fresh fruit preserver from Ball, which is mostly citric acid.

Canned Potatoes

About 8 – 10 pounds potatoes (to can 10 pint jars)
2 t. citric acid
Water

Dissolve the citric acid in a large bowl of water. Clean and peel the potatoes. Cut them into medium-sized chunks and immerse them in the bowl of water with citric acid (this prevents them from getting brown). Drain.

Using a large stock pot, add potato chunks and enough water to completely cover them; bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes for five minutes. Turn off the heat.

Carefully ladle the potatoes into 10 clean pint jars. Use the liquid from boiling them to cover the potatoes to within an inch of the top. Place lids and screw bands on top of the jars.

Process potatoes at 11 pounds pressure (below 2,000 feet altitude), 12 pounds (for 3,000 – 4,000 feet above sea level), 13 pounds (for 5 – 6,000 feet) or 14 pounds pressure (above 6,000 feet in altitude) for a total of 40 minutes after your pressure canner gets up to the correct pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment