Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October 5, 2011: Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole Recipe

Bookmark and Share
I guess I missed out when I was growing up in Wisconsin. According to several friends from the Midwest, this recipe is quite common there (where cheese RULES) – but my mom never made it. I had to wait until I was an adult to taste this dish for the first time; I’ve been hooked ever since. Yes, it’s full of fat and calories, but if you’re looking for a comfort food side dish, this one fits the bill.

Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole

1 package (32 ounces) frozen hash browns, thawed
½ cup finely minced white or yellow onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or Colby Jack work well)
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
Dash of Tabasco sauce
1 t. garlic salt
½ t. black pepper

This is a really simple recipe – combine all ingredients and put in a greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 – 60 minutes, until bubbly hot.

Tip: You can make this dish in the crock pot; just let it cook for about 2 – 3 hours so that it heats all the way through.

Note: Some people top this casserole with a mixture of crushed cornflakes and melted butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment