Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

November 20, 2011: Mom’s Classic Turkey Stuffing Recipe

Bookmark and Share
Everyone has their traditional stuffing recipe, which seems to vary greatly according to location. When I was growing up in Wisconsin, this is the recipe my mother made every year. After years of watching her do it, I was pressed into making the entire Thanksgiving dinner just before she died and had to call upon my memory to make it just like she used to. Since she never measured the ingredients and neither do I, I’m estimating here so please feel free to experiment with seasonings that are to your liking.

Please note you can use a box of dressing, such as Mrs. Cubbison’s brand, instead of the plain bread cubes but I prefer the unseasoned kind, which I can find in my grocery store’s bakery at Thanksgiving time. Also, my mom always chopped the turkey giblets and added them to the stuffing but my family just wouldn’t eat it knowing they were in there so I usually omit them. But if you’re willing to try it, you really can’t taste the giblets alone, although they do impart a good flavor to the stuffing.

Mom’s Turkey Stuffing

One 1 lb. package bread cubes, unseasoned
Giblets from turkey, cooked and finely minced
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 medium-sized Granny Smith apple, diced
½ t. freshly ground black pepper
Salt, to taste (about a teaspoon)
1 t. dried sage or 1 T. fresh sage, minced
2 t. dehydrated parsley or 2 T. fresh parsley, minced
1 t. poultry seasoning
1 can chicken broth
3 T. butter

Toss bread cubes with remaining ingredients. Let sit for five minutes, so bread has time to absorb liquid, before stuffing into turkey. Place any remaining stuffing in a greased casserole dish and bake alongside the turkey during the last hour of roasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment