Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

January 29, 2012: Steak With Pomegranate Reduction Recipe


Bookmark and Share
My husband and I love ribeye steaks but the reason they’re so good is that they’re nicely marbled with lots of fat. In order to make a healthier version of this favorite, I bought thinner steaks and added a sauce to make it seem like more food was on the plate.
Steak With Pomegranate Reduction served with multi-colored potatoes with butter and parsley

Steak With Pomegranate Reduction

2 thin ribeye steaks (or other good quality beef steaks), about ½ pound total weight
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 t. olive oil
1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
¾ cup dry red wine (such as Merlot or Shiraz)
¾ cup pomegranate juice
1 t. butter
1 T. fat free half and half
1 t. jarred, drained capers

Take out the steaks and leave at room temperature for about half an hour before cooking. Sprinkle one side with salt and pepper.

Heat oil to medium-high in a heavy skillet. Add steaks and cook briefly on each side (about 2 minutes) to brown. Place on a plate and tent with foil. Keep warm in a low oven.

Reduce heat to medium and add garlic cloves to skillet. Saute for about one minutes, until slightly softened. Slowly pour in wine and pomegranate juice. Bring to a slow, rolling boil and cook until reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter, half and half and capers; stir to blend ingredients.

To serve, place one steak on each plate and ladle half the sauce over the top.

Serves 2

3 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds so adventurous. I think my family would like it but I can't tell them what is IN it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Sinea. I try my best to shoo my husband out of the kitchen while I'm cooking so he can't see the ingredients. He balks if he sees something unfamiliar but if he just tastes it, he's usually okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post which that they’re nicely marbled with lots of fat. In order to make a healthier version of this favorite, I bought thinner steaks and added a sauce to make it seem like more food was on the plate. Thanks a lot for posting.

    ReplyDelete