Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 2, 2011: Pasta Ponza Recipe

Bookmark and Share

Recently I bought a container of beautiful miniature heirloom tomatoes at the grocery store. They just looked so colorful and yummy, I knew I had to come up with a special dish for them. I found this one, which I adapted, online at the Food Network website; it’s one provided by Giada de Laurentis.

Tip: The one thing I would do differently next time is not roast the tomatoes as this process turned them into mush. I think using them raw and adding freshly toasted bread cubes - use my recipe for homemade bread crumbs here - would be better. Tell me what you think.

Pasta Ponza

½ pound penne pasta
2 cups small tomatoes (grape, cherry, baby heirloom, etc.)
1 – 2 T. olive oil
½ t. kosher salt
¼ t. freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup bread crumbs (I used panko)
1 t. Italian seasoning
1 t. dried minced parsley
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to directions, drain and reserve half cup of cooking water.

Meanwhile, cut tomatoes in half. Toss with olive oil, salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning. Place in an 8 inch square baking pan. Top with bread crumbs and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Bake at 375 degrees for half an hour, until the bread crumbs are golden and crispy.

Toss together the cooked pasta, the baked tomatoes, parsley and Parmesan cheese. Add a bit of the reserved cooking water if it seems too dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment