Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

September 1, 2011: Coconut Rice


Bookmark and Share
Welcome autumn!

Well, September is finally here and after one last summer hurrah in the form of the long Labor Day weekend, we can all say goodbye to summer and hello to school zones, football games, and shorter days. I’m already anxious to get my house decorated for fall and resurrect my homemade scarecrow, who changes clothes each year (I'll share a recipe for making him/her later this month). Do you do anything special to celebrate the changing of seasons?

For the first recipe of the month, I’m sharing a new side dish. Coconut milk adds such great flavor to dishes; I’m actually surprised that I didn’t think of adding it to my favorite Jasmine rice long before this! This recipe includes a delicate hint of ginger and garlic along with the fantastic flavor of curry, coconut and Jasmine rice. It makes an excellent side for fish, chicken satay, or any kind of Thai or Oriental main dish.
Coconut Jasmine rice served with halibut steaks and stir fried snow peas.

Coconut Jasmine Rice

1 cup Jasmine rice
1 ½ cups coconut milk
1 ½ cups water
2 t. minced ginger
2 t. garlic salt
1/2 t. curry powder
2 T. butter

Place all ingredients, except butter, in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the butter. Replace the lid and allow the butter to melt. Stir together just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment