Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

September 4, 2011: Thai Red Curry Paste Recipe

Bookmark and Share
I’ve been looking for Thai red curry paste at my local grocery store for some time now (it’s used in yummy curry sauces) – with no luck. I just happened to find this recipe online recently and I was ecstatic! I didn’t have exactly the ingredients as listed so I made some slight substitutions and this is what I came up with. Try it and see what you think.

Thai Red Curry Paste

3 T. red chili sauce
2 shallots, coarsely chopped
1 t. peppercorns
2 ½ t. cumin seeds
1 ½ T. coriander seeds
2 T. fresh or dehydrated cilantro
1 t. lemon balm
1 t. salt
2 t. paprika (for color)
1 t. curry powder
2 t. finely chopped lemon or lime peel
1 t. minced ginger
2 t. Asian fish sauce
1 T. vegetable oil

Using a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder, grind the whole spices to a fine powder. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Add more oil or a little bit of water, if necessary, to make a smooth paste.

Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. If desired, you can freeze any remaining paste in baggies or ice cube trays (when frozen pop the cubes into baggies or a plastic container).

No comments:

Post a Comment