Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

The Chickens Definitely Came Before the Eggs

Life out here on the farm is…well, farm-like.

Especially with our new addition, ten baby chicks. We’ve got five that are Rhode Island Red mixes and five that are black Leghorns. They’re pretty cute little cheepers right now that peck at the sides of their box home and fall asleep standing up. They are congregating in the corner beneath the heat lamp and sometimes they even pile up on top of each other.

Our hope is that the majority of these little fellows turn out to be hens (it’s nearly impossible to tell at this point). We’ll keep one rooster and eat, or sell, the rest. My husband is making them a fine coop to move into when they are old enough to put outside.

Since I didn’t grow up on a farm or even participate in 4-H, this is a new experience for me. I’ll let you know how it goes. I can’t help but remember the I Love Lucy episode where she and Ricky moved out to the country and started raising chickens. Lucy had to bring them indoors to keep them warm and Little Ricky lets them loose so they had little chicks running all over their house. And then there was the episode with the eggs, when Lucy decides to buy store bought eggs to convince Ricky her hens are good layers. She puts them down the front of her blouse and then does the tango – only to have them all break down the front of her chest.

If I encounter any Lucy-like episode with my chickens, I’ll let you know. After all, if you can’t laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

No comments:

Post a Comment