Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

July 31, 2011: Blackberry Limeade Recipe

Bookmark and Share

Recently my husband surprised me by coming home with two blackberry bushes, four grapevines, and three blue spruce trees to plant in our yard. I was absolutely thrilled! For so long I’ve been wanting to fix up our yard and turn it into our own little paradise on half an acre.

The blackberry bushes came complete with clusters of deep, dark berries ready to pick. With only two bushes, there wasn’t enough to pick to make a cobbler or a pie. I put on my thinking cap for a minute and came up with this recipe, which is for a small amount due to my lack of berries but can be easily doubled or tripled. It is incredibly refreshing, not too sweet, and the color makes it look even yummier.

Tip: If you don’t have any fresh blackberries available, try using frozen instead.

Blackberry Limeade

½ cup fresh blackberries
½ cup sugar
1 cardamom pod
½ cup water
½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice

In a saucepan, combine the berries, sugar, cardamom pod and water. Bring to a boil then simmer for about five minutes, until berries release all their juices. Strain into a pitcher or jar. Add strained lime juice and 3 cups water. Refrigerate or serve immediately over ice.

Makes 1 quart

No comments:

Post a Comment